Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:19:08 +0200

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:53:42 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Gilles,

Yet you long for <some_tool> that would know how to remove a set of
bars from "That Production" project. :-P
A tool could do that *if* it knew what structure to expect.

I don’t believe that’s necessary… but we can leave that aside for
now, since the technical investigation required to determine whether
my intuition is correct isn’t worth it at this stage of the
discussion.

For sure, it is not necessary: LilyPond itself should be able to do
it since it obviously has to know at some point which part of the
input will end up in which bar.

By default, standardization is a Good Thing.

I agree 100%. (But, as an aside, many people wouldn’t!)

It should not be the case that simple scores have a structure that
becomes hugely inadequate when more contents is added.

So, to output a simple 16-bar lead sheet, a user should always [be
forced to] create 3 files (voice.ily, chords.ily, score.ly)? Or maybe
four (lyrics.ily)? Or more?
Because a “one-per-instrument” file structure — or something equally
segmented in some other way — is likely necessary (or at least
desirable enough to be chosen as the standard) for a huge project like
an opera.

Yes! :-)
But once there is a standard, many tools will blossom, in particular
one that would offer "simple layout" and transparently transform into
"standard layout"...
Or more probably a user that is too lazy to set up one directory (rather
than one file) for a given project is likely to use a GUI in the first
place and will never ever see the multi-file standard layout.

Regards,
Gilles

Best regards,
Kieren.