Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Baur, Thomas
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 06:14:11 +0000

> > What I'd like to see is worked, documented examples.
>
> I’m happy to supply a few… But there are so many questions:
>
> 1. Where would they be kept?
I think best is very prominent in the documentation. I remember my first
steps with Lilypond, I wanted to make a score for Guitar with tab but I
do not find an example in the documentation that is for an newbie
readable. But I found a article in the web that helps me to bring me
over the first very hard step in Lilypond.

> 2. How “rich” would the examples need to be, or not be? Even just a one-page
> excerpt from my Passacaglia for String Quartet would require something on the
> order of 20 separate files (stylesheets, general tweaks and functions, etc.),
> which I think would be off-putting for someone just starting out.
Not so rich, one file so that people can copy and past it, press engrave button
and it works. Then the people can make some small changes to bring the sheet to
their music. And through this changes they will learn how to work with
Lilypond.

Greetings
Thomas Baur