Re: What is a voice context?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: What is a voice context?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:02:20 +0200

Am 23.04.2015 um 06:07 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
So now I'm going to jump in on what I think a Voice context is.

A Voice context is a context, which means it can contain engravers,
performers, and music expressions.

I'd be happy to try to answer any questions others might have about a
Voice.

Thanks,

Carl

I think this is a good explanation, but it requires some prerequisites (and that is one of the points I find very hard on the LilyPond learning curve: There are so many things where you have to understand other things before, and these again have there required pre-understanding a.s.o. Sometimes you get the feeling there are short-circuits of the kind that in order to understand a part of documentation you'd have to have that much knowledge that you don't need that documentation anyway).

What is a context?
I mean, when I run LilyPond, when does a context "enter" and what is its purpose?

What is an engraver?
When reading this word I think of a human with a certain profession. When I try to translate this to LilyPond I think of some module that "prints" items. But as far as I've learned recently an engraver is first an entity that waits for items to be passed to it from the "context" and that can then do something with this item, e.g. printing it, modifying it before printing, writing the event to a logfile or sending an email on its behalf.
I'm still not really sure about how that fits into the architecture.

What is a performer?

What is a music expression? OK, this is quite clear and sufficiently explained.

These are some of my questions.

Urs