Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:42:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015, Simon Albrecht wrote:

Perhaps it boils down to this: Using a conventional typesetting software may be learned through trial and error, using lilypond can’t. You have to be willing to get a grip of it from the basic, and for me this involved to delve into a completely new way of thinking.

I never really had to learn a "new" way of thinking. In fact I never started using Sibelius or Finale, so I did not have to "move" to LilyPond. I feel quite comfortable with the LilyPond way of thinking. I have tried Denemo but didn't feel it made things easier for me. I can do things faster with just Vim or, when I want more comfort, Frescobaldi.

But if I want to do things beyond the LM basics the almost endless possibilities that LilyPond offers and the many many pages of the NR and other manuals can be quite overwhelming.

What I would like: A tool that allows me to do an offline search in my local copies of the manuals. Something like the unix grep command, but slightly more friendly with a nice gui.

Now I often find my way in the online manuals with the help of Google.
This works well, except when I have no internet connection.

--

MT