Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:19:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015, Federico Bruni wrote:

      But if I want to do things beyond the LM basics the almost endless
possibilities that LilyPond offers and the many many pages of the
      NR and other manuals can be quite overwhelming.

      What I would like: A tool that allows me to do an offline search in my
local copies of the manuals. Something like the unix grep
      command, but slightly more friendly with a nice gui.

      Now I often find my way in the online manuals with the help of Google.
      This works well, except when I have no internet connection.

Do you know that you can download the documentation with the --doc option of
the installer?

I am using Linux Fedora and simply installed the lilypond-doc rpm package using my package manager.

A browser search in a big version of a manual may be what you are looking for.

I'll give that a try

Or use the PDF portfolio provided by Nick Payne if you want to search across
manuals.

Not working with Evince on Fedora.

--

MT