Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:06:13 +0100

> On 23 Apr 2015, at 01:48, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen (et al.)
>
>> anyway I tried a few examples and used %1a %2a etc for measures and used the
>> bar check (|) as an end
>> eg.
>> %1a
>> music |

This would be reliant on meticulous use of of the “%NNNa" and “|” pairs to
delineate the beginning and end of the bar, which might prove to be a tall
order - perhaps requiring a syntax-testing script to pick up errors before
running sed?

Offended by the ragged line ends after editing, and feeling the OCD-sufferer’s
need to have the bar checks neatly lined up at the end of the line, I routinely
put the bar checks at the _beginnings_ of the bars, thus...

        | a4 b c d
        | a8 b c d e f g a
        | a16 b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b

...instead of...

        a4 b c d |
        a8 b c d e f g a |
        a16 b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b |

...or this...

        a4 b c d                                                |
        a8 b c d e f g a                                |
        a16 b c d e f g a b c d e f g a b       |

…which has the bar checks neatly lined up using tab characters as I type this
email, but will probably come out with a ragged edge when you receive it!

I’m not sure whether sed can omit text up to but not including the second
delimiter.

Michael