Re: Creating LilyPond Object Models

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Creating LilyPond Object Models
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:05:02 +0000

On 4/23/15 1:25 AM, "Johannes Rohrer" <address@hidden> wrote:

>* 2015-04-23 01:29 +0200:
>> Translators are program elements that convert music expressions to
>>output.
>>  Engravers are translators that create printed output.  Performers are
>> translators that create midi output.
>>
>> Translators examine the music expressions that are contained in the
>> context, and create output elements.  For the case of engravers (which
>> create graphical output), the output elements are grobs.  The grobs have
>> properties that are used to create their appearance on the page.
>
>This is very simplified.

<Snip excellent explanation provided by Johannes>

>This is mostly undocumented I believe, although there are some
>snippets in the contributor's guide
>
><http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/overview-of-lilyp
>ond-architecture>
>
>and some helpful scattered mailing list posts.

Thank you very much for your addition.  It clarified some issues that I
understood in a muddy way, and so I didn't include them in my object
model.  I knew that I had left out iterators (it was a choice I made
because the user never sets iterator properties).

I'll get an updated description put together.

Thanks,

Carl