Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Calixte Faure
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:59:25 +0200

Depends on how you type your files and read music, I guess. As a singer I learned reading music relatively so it is more natural for me and i exclusively use \relative mode. But I agree there are limitation like Kieren second example with split voices: I always expect the note before the split to be the reference.

About barchecks, it is doable with unix commands (sed, grep, etc.) but it is not very flexible. Attached *very* naive script does only work when there is one | for each measure (so R1*n unallowed) and one measure per line, and one file for each voice. Then deleting measure x to y can be easily done with the second attached script.
Cleaning old measure with sed 's/%{ [0-9]* %}//' and rerun number_measure.sh.
$ ./number_measure.sh file.ly [output.ly]
$ ./delete_measure.sh file.ly x y

But the best would be to interpret directly each measure based on \time but bash is really not designed for this.
Cheers,
Calixte.

Hi Shane,

> For God's sake don't deprecate \relative

Okay, “deprecation” is a bit strong.  =)

But I don’t even tell newbies about it when I’m introducing them to Lilypond — I tried that for a while, and found that overcoming the confusion not worth the effort.

> It is far faster to input

I disagree: I find absolute mode far faster for input, and the benefit in favour of absolute *increases* the moment I have to do any cutting-and-pasting.

Cheers,
Kieren.