Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:06:28 -0500

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> All,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Noeck [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> this is a triviality for most of you and it does not solve the original
>> issue of deleting a measure easily.
>

> I have really enjoyed following this thread. It's always fascinating to hear
> from everyone's experiences and opinions. I just thought I'd chime in,
> though, in hopes that this conversation won't get too side-tracked by trying
> to solve the challenges that people mention (as helpful as that may be),
> compared to discussing what obstacles keep LilyPond from being able to offer
> the future. Once we have a good list of things that can make transitioning
> easier, THEN we, as a community, can coordinate efforts to solve the
> problems.
>
> One of the underlying points in Urs' original post is the desire to be able
> to use LilyPond as a service (LaaS, ha ha) to those who need engraving work
> done, wherever it comes from, whether it be a big or small publisher,
> composers, etc. Anyone with experience trying to work with publishers and
> their concerns would be prime contributors to this conversation. I think
> this would go a long way in unifying our efforts rather than debating them.
>
> - Abraham

Hi all,

in this long thread (and some others) people posted their wishlist for
LilyPond-features.
Currently not a single line of code was added to our code base, though.

To start the first step may I suggest:

If you wish a lily-feature not yet available.
1. Look into our bug-tracker. Maybe there is an issue for it already.
You may want to comment there.
2. If not, mail to our bug-list requesting this feature. This way it
does not get lost.

No guarantee that anyone will work on it, though. Our amount of
developers is very limited.
Also, very often other problems are more pressing. Right now: our
bug-tracker will shut down and we need to move to guilev2 (no warrant
for completeness...)

If you are a programmer, have coding-experience or even only a good
knowledge of standard-LilyPond.
Please consider what you may be able to contribute.
A patch?
Answering user-request?

All that would help.

Please, please, pretty please.  The activity on the lists is excellent--what a great community to be part of!  However, the number of people who contribute to the codebase is incredibly small--frighteningly small for anyone who loves this program and wants to see it survive and prosper, as we all do!

Take a look here to see development activities, how few people are actively involved:  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=summary

If you have a great idea, please consider working on it yourself.  Especially if you self-identify as a programmer--and I suspect there are plenty who frequent the lists.  I say this because there's a good chance your good idea will go absolutely nowhere otherwise.

(Please take this as a plea for more help with the project!  It is not intended to downplay the efforts by the contributors to this thread.)

Best,
David