Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the f

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:18:00 -0400

Hi Simon,

> – I think the preference one will take also depends on musical style: a piece
> of renaissance vocal music uses so few leaps greater than a fourth that the
> advantage of relative in typing is huge and it’s ‘error-pronity’ small. On
> the other extreme, a piano piece by George Crumb would probably a showcase
> for where absolute mode is at its best, if you get my point.

Agreed! And since most of the music I write is my own — and hence closer to
Crumb than Compere — absolute mode almost always wins the day.

> How about modifying these as
>> split =
[…]

There were, some time ago, enough problems with these functions interacting
with relative mode and chords (cf. the archive thread between David K. and
myself) that I’d rather not fix what isn’t currently broken.  ;)

> This should reduce confusion here.
> So, no reason for a crusade :-)

You’d think so… but it was that ridiculous problem with those functions +
relative mode + chord notation that finally camel-strawed me.

Look, I’m glad others like \relative mode.
I just won’t use it — I’ve been burned far too often — and won’t recommend it
to others.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer