Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the f

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: What is the problem with "\relative"? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:58:00 +0100

On 23/04/15 20:35, Calixte Faure wrote:
> I learned music in French (native French) and was at the beginning a
> little bit confused with 2 4 8 16 etc. because we say white, black,
> "hooked", double-"hooked", triple-,  etc. but after all it is logical
> with the numbers.
> I understood the choice of 2 4 8 16 during an exchange semester in
> Germany where, as in American, you say half, quarter eighth, sixteenth…
> I proud being able to understand thanks Lilypond ! :)
> Apropos, why isn’t there an American language in Lilypond (do re mi fa
> sol la ti -e -a) ?

And then in English we get thoroughly confused, because an American
whole note is an English semibreve or, literally, "half note". And we
don't use numbers either, we have semibreve, minim, crotchet, quaver,
semiquaver, demisemiquaver, hemidemisemiquaver, dunno what the next one
is. And those last three are a half note, half a half note, and half a
half a half note! :-)

At the end of the day, Vive La Difference!

Cheers,
Wol