Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Kevin Tough
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 06:49:47 +0200

On Thu, 2015-04-23 at 13:06 -0500, David Nalesnik wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Thomas Morley
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>         <address@hidden>:
>         > All,
>         >
>         > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Noeck [via Lilypond]
>         <[hidden email]>
>         > wrote:
>         >>
>         >> this is a triviality for most of you and it does not solve
>         the original
>         >> issue of deleting a measure easily.
>         >
>         >
>         > I have really enjoyed following this thread. It's always
>         fascinating to hear
>         > from everyone's experiences and opinions. I just thought I'd
>         chime in,
>         > though, in hopes that this conversation won't get too
>         side-tracked by trying
>         > to solve the challenges that people mention (as helpful as
>         that may be),
>         > compared to discussing what obstacles keep LilyPond from
>         being able to offer
>         > the future. Once we have a good list of things that can make
>         transitioning
>         > easier, THEN we, as a community, can coordinate efforts to
>         solve the
>         > problems.
>         >
>         > One of the underlying points in Urs' original post is the
>         desire to be able
>         > to use LilyPond as a service (LaaS, ha ha) to those who need
>         engraving work
>         > done, wherever it comes from, whether it be a big or small
>         publisher,
>         > composers, etc. Anyone with experience trying to work with
>         publishers and
>         > their concerns would be prime contributors to this
>         conversation. I think
>         > this would go a long way in unifying our efforts rather than
>         debating them.
>         >
>         > - Abraham
>         >
>         > ________________________________
>         future?
>         > Sent from the User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>         >

>         > lilypond-user mailing list
>         > address@hidden
>         >

>         Hi all,
>
>         in this long thread (and some others) people posted their
>         wishlist for
>         LilyPond-features.
>         Currently not a single line of code was added to our code
>         base, though.
>
>         To start the first step may I suggest:
>
>         If you wish a lily-feature not yet available.
>         1. Look into our bug-tracker. Maybe there is an issue for it
>         already.
>         You may want to comment there.
>         2. If not, mail to our bug-list requesting this feature. This
>         way it
>         does not get lost.

> [...]

Hi David and others,

as a old hobby I programmed with VS. I use Linux and through Fedora I
found Lilypond. Although at the moment I have no time for programming I
will hope to change things in the future. As a prospective future
contributor to code for Lilypond is it easy enough to start with QT4
using their free open source licensing model or what direction would you
suggest. I really like Vim but am not anywhere near a power user yet.

Namaste,
Kevin Tough