Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:07:28 -0400

On Apr 24, 2015, at 6:43 AM, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:

You forgot the quality of sheets: a (really) digital PDF will always look better than a scanned PDF.
And if it's too old or don't like anything you can change it and get what you want.

+1
Also, ultimately do we want the archive of public domain musical works to be available as inflexible scans or as flexible music data?  (Ask anyone working in digital humanities…)

This is the value of Mutopia and the reason why I strongly disagree on the idea of merging it into IMSLP. In the past discussion on this topic there were a couple of ideas on better integration between the two projects.

I agree.  Ultimately, Mutopia isn’t going away, and it is (and will continue to be) associated with LilyPond.  Sure, it’s easy to disparage it for this or that, but I think it’s a valuable resource that’s worth maintaining and improving.  I benefit from it and so I contribute back a little of my time updating old works, improving their quality.

Cheers,
-Paul