Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 17:32:47 -0400

Hi Wol,

As mentioned by others, actual code samples will be much better than abstract
complaints, if a solution is what you’re looking for.

> If squeezing notes closer causes markup to collide and staircase, that's VERY
> painful to me.

Does this not fix your problem?

\version "2.19.18"

scriptStuff = {
    \repeat unfold 4 { c''-\markup "This is a long markup" }
}

%%  default
\score {
  \scriptStuff
}

%%  with extra spacing tweak
\score {
  \scriptStuff
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \override TextScript.extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 . 0.5)

> my use case bumps into collisions - often several - with pretty much EVERY
> piece I do, and in every case lily's default behaviour is wrong.

Likely it’s easy to fix — either by what I’ve used (above) or otherwise.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info