Re: Limits of algorithmic typesetting (was: Re: mutopia's shortcomings)

From: tyronicus
Subject: Re: Limits of algorithmic typesetting (was: Re: mutopia's shortcomings)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:35:22 -0700 (MST)

Eyolf Østrem wrote
> A machine may draw a more geometrically perfect circle, but if I were to
> hang the drawing on my wall, I'd much rather have one made by Mirò than by
> machine. Same with notation.

Music notation may be at times a graphic art, but isn't it more often a tool
for communication? Which is ideally beautiful but must be firstly clear and
concise.

I loved it when Urs and Janek offered framed A3s from their Fried
engravings. It is certainly something I would hang on my wall.

Human handwriting may be a better comparison. It is lovely to read
handwriting, but it is far easier to read printed text.