Re: Limits of algorithmic typesetting (was: Re: mutopia's shortcomings)

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Limits of algorithmic typesetting (was: Re: mutopia's shortcomings)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:39:49 +0200

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:22:54 +0200, Eyolf Østrem wrote:
On 24.04.2015 (14:12), tyronicus wrote:
Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
> I should’ve written “I believe that nothing as beautiful/good as this
> will ever be engraved by a machine” then, since basically it is my
> belief. Maybe I exaggerated a little :-)
> And you may believe differently of course.

My contrary belief: A machine will draw a circle better than a human 100% of
the time. It's a matter of telling it how.

A machine may draw a more geometrically perfect circle, but if I were to hang the drawing on my wall, I'd much rather have one made by Mirò than by a
machine. Same with notation.

Following this line of reasoning, you'll end up that it's better
to have scores written by hand (as a really unique artisanal
creation)...

Also, a machine can be told to not draw a perfect circle, to fool
you into thinking that was not drawn by machine. ;-)

Regards,
Gilles