How to make an object take up no space

From: Steven Weber
Subject: How to make an object take up no space
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:02:00 -0700

As part of my ongoing project to typeset “highlighting” marks I’ve hit another problem:  I’m trying to highlight repeat bar lines, but the highlighting code keeps interfering with my skylines.  Since I’m manually placing it (for the moment) and doing so in a negative layer, I’d like to tell lilypond to completely ignore it when determining spacing (mostly vertically, but I assume I’ll want it to take no horizontal space as well).

I’ve tried extra-spacing-height, y-extent, and negative padding all with no luck.  It seems like maybe what I want to override is the vertical-skylines, but I don’t know how to create a skyline object with the right values and couldn’t find any hints in the manual.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Steven