Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 01:05:28 +0100

On 25/04/2015 00:35, Thomas Morley wrote:
And please, this is_not_  a tiny example!
You would significantly increase your chance to get help from the list
if you'd try to reduce it to tiny examples only showing_one_  problem.
I do appreciate that you don't want to look through too much code. BUT.

It seems to me that there is too much "addressing one issue", when my big problem is conflicting solutions! In other words, the solution to one problem promptly screws up the solution to another!

Take the "Allegretto con Moto" "Take 2nd on D.S." issue. In the original pdf, they were \markup's stacked above each other. Kieren's suggested solved that issue, but pushed "Take 2nd on D.S." into the first time bar. Following the docu and lsr, I have now tried converting "Take 2nd on D.S." into a \mark, which fixes the alignment issue, pushing it back over the 7 bars rest where it belongs, but it breaks Kieren's fix for the stacking! :-(

And from the very original post, I had hoped it was pretty clear that the problem lay in just a couple of lines in one file. So who cares if there's a lot of extraneous stuff that can (mostly) be ignored.

I don't want to moan at people who are being helpful, that doesn't help matters anywhere. But I hope you can see my point too - there's no point fixing my current problem if it promptly breaks something else elsewhere! And the solution seems to be tweaks and over-rides that aren't documented because the "simple" solution works fine on its own but not in conjunction with something else!

That's why I find using lilypond so frustrating at times - it really cannot handle colliding markups very well (sorry Kieren!). Every time I find a new work-around another problem kicks me in the face.

And that's why I'd like to see full-blown pieces heavily commented as a teaching aid. Because then it's *forced* to address issues like this - when problems collide and the easy solution doesn't work because you've got two problems not one and the two solutions just won't co-operate.

Sorry for the rant,
Wol