Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 02:09:16 +0100

On 25/04/2015 01:28, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Wol,

It seems to me that there is too much "addressing one issue", when my big
problem is conflicting solutions! In other words, the solution to one problem promptly
screws up the solution to another!
You need to apply the solution correctly to all grobs that are affected, i.e.,
both RehearsalMark and TextScript (and maybe MetronomeMark, if you ever use
it). You can’t honestly expect that we, having taught you that 2+2=4 and 2+3=5,
also must work out 3+2 for you. Lilypond “programming” (such as it is) requires
that you take examples of fixes and tools, and apply them beyond the explicit
example that was first illustrated.

Take the "Allegretto con Moto" "Take 2nd on D.S." issue. In the original pdf,
they were \markup's stacked above each other.
"Allegretto con Moto" should be a MetronomeMark.
"Take 2nd on D.S.” should be a RehearsalMark.
Each grob was created for a reason — please use them correctly.

I have now tried converting "Take 2nd on D.S." into a \mark
Good.

but it breaks Kieren's fix for the stacking! :-(
Then apply to RehearsalMark the tweak I gave you for TextScript. Does that not
fix the problem?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

It's not perfect, but this has got it looking right! I now need to try and understand what exactly is going on "under the hood", especially where things didn't seem to be behaving right, but I think my understanding has already improved somewhat.

And I need to learn what has changed since I first started using lilypond - I don't think things like MetronomeMark existed back then :-) I know lily has changed but I don't think I realised quite how much - it says something that all the stuff that worked back then for me still works today.

It's time for bed - it's past 2am here (GMT+1), but thank you very much again!

Cheers,
Wol