Re: Creating LilyPond Object Models

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Creating LilyPond Object Models
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:52:44 +0100

On 26/04/2015 17:08, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi Paul,

I don't know if that's in any way related to our talk yesterday or if it has exclusively been triggered by Carl starting it. But this is very much a skeleton of what I was talking about! It would be absolutely great if you could pour that into a tutorial on the basics of writing Scheme engravers.

Maybe "users" will usually not need this kind of information, but OTOH users often need solutions that can be provided using this technique. So having a slow-paced introductions may well lead to a greater number of people daring to dive into these waters.

Don't forget, also, that "need to know" may be great in wartime, to prevent secrets leaking, but it's not good for learning. And certainly, I find the best way of learning is to have stuff aimed at what I'm trying to do, but is full of snippets of bits of information that go that little bit deeper. That way, I have the incentive to study the teaching material, but it's actually teaching me at a deeper level than I need - so I can then progress to the next level with greater ease. So probably this information would work well as a footnote in a user tutorial - when it talks superficially about engravers it could point them at this somewhat deeper explanation of what an engraver actually is.

Cheers,
Wol