Re: Putting text IN the staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Putting text IN the staff
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 19:05:11 -0400

Hi Wol,

> Basically, what I want is "\StaffOff   ...text...   \StaffOn". So, thinking
> treble clef, the text would be centred on the "b" line. Markup, however,
> seems to want to be above or below the staff, and that's it. How do I force
> it IN the staff, or am I using the wrong technique completely? I know you can
> force a rest to a note-position, is there any way of doing the same with text?

There are two obvious ways:

1. Use extra-offset, after everything is already laid out (with the text
outside the staff).
2. Turn off outside-staff-priority. (cf.
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects#the-outside_002dstaff_002dpriority-property,
 where it points out that “By default [outside-staff-priority] is set to #f for
all within-staff objects”.)

I would probably use method #1 (with the tweak added externally via the
edition-engraver, to maintain content-presentation separation).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info