Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:38:00 +0200

Am 27.04.2015 um 16:15 schrieb Noeck:
Dear Kieren,

With the edition-engraver, there is (a) no need to mix layout with contents
I already wanted to submit a score to Mutopia using the edition
engraver. But I finally used ordinary tweaks because we were not sure
how future proof this is. This bings me to my questions:

1. How stable is the interface of the edition engraver?

not production-ready.

    Will the commands to use it change?

Probably yes.

2. Will it always be in the current place of OpenLilyLib?

Definitely not. As 90% of openLilyLib that will be migrated to the new, "real" infrastructure, once this is ready enough. Currently OLL is more or less a bunch of more or less useful code snippets. Through the reorganization it will become a set of well-defined libraries that can be used like libraries and that are documented like software libraries. The last part is what hasn't been implemented yet, and i do *not* want significant portions of code to be migrated before we can guarantee that.

3. Might it get integrated into the core of LilyPond?
    (Currently it is not guaranteed that OLL is available when Mutopia
    scores are compiled, so its usage is complicated)

We have the intention to do so. For now it is good to have it in openLilyLib, a place that is much more "public" than Jan-Peter's own repository, so we can test, discuss and develop it until it (hopefully) becomes mature and robust enough to be integrated in LilyPond itself.

HTH
Urs

Because it does not make sense to improve the maintainability of a large
set of scores by relying on a functionality that has to be adapted
manually in future and thus produces more manual interventions.

To be clear, I like the edition engraver very much.

Cheers,
Joram