Tie engraver

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Tie engraver
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 11:34:26 +1000

Greetings All,

The tie machinery for ties between chords puts them all one way, up or down, when using  a simple tilde for tying. I have to adjust every pair of tied chords, of which I have several thousand in my score, to have some ties down and some up, according to the wishes of the composer. I understand the tie engraver can’t know what I want, but in the general case, is there any way you can specify that for say, two note chords, the top tie goes up and the bottom one goes down, and for three note chords, the top two go up and the bottom one down, for four note chords the top two go up and the bottom two go down, and so on, for higher degrees?

I know you can use the tie-configuration property for individual chords, but that is not what this question is about.

Any clues? I hope this is clear without a snippet to illustrate.

Andrew