Re: Automatically convert beams [ ] into slurs ( ) to indicate melisma (

From: Calixte Faure
Subject: Re: Automatically convert beams [ ] into slurs ( ) to indicate melisma (was undefined)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:11:01 +0200

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for snippet!
Here’s an example with words and autoBeamOff. The idea is to have both traditional and modern vocal engraving with a unique source.

music = {
  \time 2/4
  | c'8[ d'] e' f'
  | g'[ a'] b' c''
}
words = {
  la li lo
  la li lo
}

<<
  {\autoBeamOff \music}
  \addlyrics {\words}
  {\beamsToSlurs \music}
  \addlyrics {\words}

Regards,
Calixte.

Calixte Faure wrote
> Traditionally, vocal scores are written without beams, except for melisma.
> But modern scores tend to keep beams everywhere and put slurs to indicate
> melisma.
>
> Is it possible to have both output with one source, without complicating
> the typesetting?
>
> I have this in mind :
> vocal = \relative c'{
>   c4 d8 e f[ g] a4
> }
> and a magic command (say \beamToSlur) would switch [ ] to ( ).

I've added this \beamsToSlurs snippet to the LSR:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=998

I don't think the music example illustrates the use case as well as it
could.  If anyone has a better example, reply with it here and I can replace
the music in the snippet with it.

-Paul