Re: Tie engraver

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Tie engraver
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:44:12 +0200

Hi Andrew,

this helps a lot to see the problem - and the solution ;-)

Setting \voiceOne and \voiceTwo (and your polyphony construct does so implicitly) takes a number of property and sets them to the "proper" direction, with "proper" meaning what is right for default polyphonic music.

In a case like yours you will generally want to set the voice number (or accept what the << {} \\ {} >> syntax does automatically) and override certain properties that don't match in the concrete case.

Here you should stick to the \voiceOne / \voiceTwo because that will properly handle stem directions and (if applicable) dynamics, slurs etc., so they all get printed "outside".
What you now want is \tieNeutral, which tells LilyPond to typeset ties independently from the voice number attribution.

This will probably save you _lots_ of individual tweaks, and when you still have to make adjustments you can use ^~ and _~ with the individual notes inside the chords.

HTH
Urs