Re: Trouble with alternative melody and lyrics

From: Peter Heisen
Subject: Re: Trouble with alternative melody and lyrics
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:14:31 -0700

Trevor & Abraham,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions.  By comparing my code to yours, also realize the fundamental error of my ways.  I had

<<
\new Voice { Music with note }
{ Music with rest }

but I should have had

<<
{ Music with note }
\new Voice { Music with rest }

Apparently, this allows the lyrics to "see" the note and align appropriately.  It's simple looking at it now, but I didn't see it before.  Your additional recommendations simplify the code and make it look much better.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Peter