Anyone up for a Scheme code review?

From: Steven Weber
Subject: Anyone up for a Scheme code review?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:40:28 -0700

I finally managed to hack together highlighting code for key signatures that does what I want (ignores the initial key signature, and only highlights key signatures at the beginning of the line if it was broken across the line).

But, my code feels…inelegant.  In particular, I’m using a global variable and I had to define my own alist equality function because I couldn’t find one with google.  Can one of you Scheme gods take a look at what I’m doing and see if there’s anything obvious I could be doing better?

And apologies for the formatting.  Scheme and I do not get along.  Counting parens drives me crazy, so I format it like I do any other language that uses braces instead of parens (expect lots and lots of extra white space!)

Thanks!

--Steven