Re: a proper whiteout function

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: a proper whiteout function
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:30:58 +0200

On 04/29/2015 12:04 PM, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
Hi Kieren, Hi Carl,

I don't think that a standard scaling will help in this case.
Here's an illustration of what could happened :

\markup {
   \combine
   \with-color #magenta
   \scale #'(1.2 . 1.2)
   \musicglyph #"clefs.G"
   \musicglyph #"clefs.G"
}

Whatever glyph re-centering, you'll never get a proper whiteout.
One has to define a specific scaling function that can "blows" the glyph
in order to get a bold one.

Correct. You need an offset (effectively a white stroke around all boundary curves) of whatever is rendered, and I think this should not be done with Lilypond inspecting the shape, but rather something on the lower level. A minute of googling brought me to the following page, which nicely shows some difficulties, and illustrates why it requires significant effort:
  http://tavmjong.free.fr/blog/?p=1257
I know that boldsymbol or something similar in LaTeX uses (used?) a bunch of copies of the same symbol with a slight translation each time, but that's 1. conceptually ugly and 2. prone to break for really thin lines, so I would not recommend to go this route.

I guess there might be a way to encode such a thing in PostScript? But even if there is a simple shortcut, I don't whether it can be applied to arbitrary stencils...

Best,
Alexander