Re:Suggest a condensed old style or transitional font for lyrics?

From: Joshua Nichols
Subject: Re:Suggest a condensed old style or transitional font for lyrics?
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 17:11:34 -0400

> ;-)

You are right. I also continually forget to check the List in addition to personal replies. I did not intend to not respond to your response. :\

> Hey, from the blog post this looks like a nice font for lyrics. (I think Joshua didn't want to say that he doesn't _like_ the looks of Minion but I think he's looking for a free alternative).

Actually, I'm not necessarily looking for a free alternative. Free alternatives that are "excellent" take a long time to come by. I am interested in any font, free or otherwise, that can suit the purposes.

> Well, apart from Minion Pro ...

I think what follows is correct. Minion Pro is a wonderful font. It is beautifully designed, with incredible metrics and contrast. It is one of the nicest fonts I've ever used. But, it is not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm publishing a hymnal. I need to be able to have something that is readable and not anemic at small font sizes. In addition, I need something with slightly smaller descenders, and it needs to be economical without becoming anemic at smaller sizes.

> Opera Lyrics Smooth...

I think it is overkill. At one point in the font's history it wasn't so homely. It was crisp and clear. A copy of the font scanned roughly into a font file is not something I'm interested in following up on (besides, it does look a little wide).

If you are interested in considering a professionally/commercially made font, I found these in my research are good alternatives:

*I'm not interested in the slightest in using TNR. It is for comparison.

Sincerely,

Josh