Re: Cross-Staff Kneed Beams; Nested Voices

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Cross-Staff Kneed Beams; Nested Voices
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 22:54:11 +0200

Hi Sam,

welcome to the list!
Some notes:
– For future posts, it is useful if you include code examples as an attachment, so they won’t get messed up somewhere on the way. That makes it easier for others to help.
– On your first question: The problems cease to appear if you use the commands \voiceOne, \voiceTwo etc., see <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/explicitly-instantiating-voices> and, if necessary, the Notation Reference section linked from there. With this, Lily will complain about not finding a good beam position, but the output is fine, so you can ignore the warning (this is normal). auto-knee-gap is used without staff changes.
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices> also explains temporary voices, which will answer your second question.
– Don’t worry about asking elementary questions, that’s what this list is for. We’ll be happy to ease your getting a grip with Lilypond.
– And, for the basics it is virtually essential to read the Learning Manual. It is very helpful and will answer many basic questions you’d else have to post on this list. Also it introduces into using the other documentation available.

Happy Ponding and HTH,
Simon