Custom headers: testing for the first page of a piece (not of a bookpart

From: Leah Velleman
Subject: Custom headers: testing for the first page of a piece (not of a bookpart or book)?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 13:30:39 -0400

Dear all,

I'm trying to set up custom book headers such that, if a piece runs over a page break, the header on the second and subsequent pages will say "PIECE (continued)".

Lilypond has predefined procedures to check whether a page is the first page of a book, or the first page of a bookpart. But it lacks a procedure to check whether a page is the first page of a piece, which is what I need.

One solution would be to enter every piece as a separate bookpart and use the predefined procedure part-first-page. But I'd rather not do that, because I would like for pieces to be able to begin midway down a page, and according to the manual bookparts always begin with a page break.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Leah