Re: License of code posted to this list

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: License of code posted to this list
Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 16:33:49 -0500

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 09.05.2015 um 23:06 schrieb David Bellows:
I'm not sure so this maybe wrong. But AFAIK copyright for content posted to the list is by default with the author and has no license by itself. So I think you can't assume it's PD.

This sounds correct as well. Does just making the code available to
the world in a public manner imply anything about it being OK to use
it in another project? I don't know the answer to that and thus these
questions. But you are correct, I'm betting, that the author does
automatically own the copyright to the code (at least in the US).

Should there be some kind of agreement that everyone signs off on when
subscribing to the mail list concerning any code they might
contribute?

I *think* I've read an agreement somewhere that explicitly states what I wrote before, so if that's true we explicitly have no PD on the list.

And is the line that David added sufficient?:

I'm more than happy to let you use the "auto-ottava" code for your
project.  By posting it on this forum I make it available to anybody
who sees utility in it.

I would say you can take this as a sufficient "license agreement" that overrides the general list rules ;-)

Yes.  I'm happy to license this under the GPL.

David