Typesetting renaissance music

From: Murray-Luke Peard
Subject: Typesetting renaissance music
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 03:09:28 +0000

Hi everyone,

I've just started using Lilypond a week or so ago, and so far I'm very impressed! I've been able to produce really nice results in a relatively short time.

My main interest is in typesetting renaissance choral music, and there's one thing I haven't been able to figure out how to do. Some singers (incl myself) prefer to have notes cross over bar lines when it's appropriate from the manuscript, and I've seen two ways to represent this.

One is to use the Mensurstriche layout, which has bar lines between staves but not through them. My preferred option is to move the barline up or down if the note is low or high, and split it if the note is in the middle.

I've been able to move the barline up and down with the following commands:

upBar = { \override Staff.BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(0.5 . 3) }
downBar = { \override Staff.BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(-3 . -0.5) }

And reset it to normal with

fullBar = { \override Staff.BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(-2 . 2) }

But I can't figure out how to get the split bar line. Ideally, it would look something like :

topPart = { \override Staff.BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(2 . 3) }
bottomPart = [ \override Staff.BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(-3 . -2) }

but both at the same time!

Can anyone suggest how I might achieve this?

Cheers,

Murray-Luke