Re: Place note over bar

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Place note over bar
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 09:06:09 -0500

Hi Andrés,

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Andrés Pérez <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

David, the code you provided is almost perfect for our purposes.

However, there are still some aspects that need to be refined. I still don't understand clearly the lilypond code, but so far I have managed to do the code that I attach.

By the way, following are the aspects that I would like to improve.
-> The first note after a new line is not on the bar

This is a major difficulty.  The code I gave does nothing more than move the barline to the closest note.  You could move the initial SystemStartBar--when I apply the function to Score.SystemStaffBar, the vertical spacing is damaged, however--and shorten the staff stencil, and move the measure number, and...

I fear that what is needed here is a new spacing system, where all this would happen automatically rather than through lots of easily breakable overrides.

-> When a note duration goes over a bar duration (as in the case of the example, with 1/4), the "empty" bar is not drawn. That needs to be further improved with special duration symbols..

The barlines are actually there.  They've been superimposed!  The function simply looks for the nearest notehead and moves the barline (or more than one) there. (You;'ll see them magically reappear if you express the whole note as four tied quarters.)

-> We would like to be able to draw, apart from bar lines, "pulsation" lines, which might serve as a reference for the time-proportional system. Those lines should be automatically added, but with a thiner line. In the example, I defined 1/4, but in fact I would prefer to be 4/4, with wider lines indicating the bars...

There is http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/outside-the-staff#grid-lines.  Maybe that could be adapted to your needs.  Possibly the function wouldn't attempt to superimpose bars that way.  But, as I say, a true fix would be a new system of spacing.  Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise for that.

This is my opinion, of course.  Knowing this list, someone will come up with a magic solution!!

Best,
David