Re: a proper whiteout function

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: a proper whiteout function
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 23:48:08 +0000

On 5/17/15 5:18 PM, "Paul Morris" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Apr 28, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Kieren MacMillan
>><address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> What would be involved in making a real stencil whiteout function which
>>could be applicable to all grobs?
>
>Hi all,  I took Kieren up on his offer to sponsor a better whiteout
>stencil function.  It¹s attached so that anyone can make use of it.

Paul,

This is a nice implementation -- I didn't think it could be done!  I think
it should be made part of LilyPond, if the performance hit is not too big.
 It seems to create a lot of stencils, but maybe that is no problem.

I'd like to see a couple of changes.

2pi-over-density should be changed to something like angle-increment.
2pi-over-density is the function used to calculate it; the meaning is
really angle-increment.

And I think that in-fill-density should be changed radius-increment.

Then you could say that the function works by creating series of white
stencils radially offset from the black stencil with angles from 0 to 2
pi, at an increment of angle-increment, and with radii from
radius-increment to offset.

At that point, we can understand how the function creates an outline.

Oh, and there should be some documentation that indicates that offset is
in staff-spaces.

Thanks again for creating this!

Carl