Re: a proper whiteout function

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: a proper whiteout function
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 14:04:47 -0400

> On May 17, 2015, at 7:48 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> This is a nice implementation -- I didn't think it could be done!

Thanks Carl!

> I think
> it should be made part of LilyPond, if the performance hit is not too big.
> It seems to create a lot of stencils, but maybe that is no problem.

I wondered whether or not it should be part of LilyPond (with this
implementation) but I’ll be glad to submit it.   If there is a performance hit,
it will at least be limited because it will likely not be used on that many
stencils in any given score.

> I'd like to see a couple of changes.
>
> 2pi-over-density should be changed to something like angle-increment.
> 2pi-over-density is the function used to calculate it; the meaning is
> really angle-increment.
>
> And I think that in-fill-density should be changed radius-increment.

Those make sense to me.

> Then you could say that the function works by creating series of white
> stencils radially offset from the black stencil with angles from 0 to 2
> pi, at an increment of angle-increment, and with radii from
> radius-increment to offset.
>
> At that point, we can understand how the function creates an outline.

That’s a nice description, thanks!

> Oh, and there should be some documentation that indicates that offset is
> in staff-spaces.

Yep.

> Thanks again for creating this!

Glad you like it!