Nashville notation as chord symbols

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Nashville notation as chord symbols
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 19:31:10 +0000 (UTC)

I would like to use Nashville Notation for chord symbols using Arabic
numbers instead of Roman numbers. Is there any way to do this?

So in the key of C:

C=1
D=2
E=3
F=4
G=5
A=6
B=7

So a blues progression might be:

1 4 5⁷

Instead of
C F G⁷

So a B-flat7 chord in the key of C might be represented at either

♭7⁷ or 7♭⁷.

I think there is a great deal of value with what might be called "relative
notation" in this way. It is a hard system to learn, but once learned can
make key transpositions much easier.

For my projects I would like to write regular chord symbols, but above or
below those symbols I would have the Nashville number thing.

After working with this system, I think all the fake books in the world
should be done this way.