Re: how to add barre indications to automatic fret diagrams?

From: pls
Subject: Re: how to add barre indications to automatic fret diagrams?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 16:39:23 +0200

On 21.05.2015, at 15:10, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5/21/15 1:30 AM, "pls" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Nice! Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Yes, transposing chords with open strings probably poses a problem.
>> Fingering information would have to be included automatically in order to
>> decide whether they should be part of a barre.  I¹d think it¹s safe to
>> assume that transposed open strings in chords will always be played with
>> the first finger.
>
> For right now, transposing chords with open strings will leave the strings
> open.  Transposing doesn't affect fingering, only pitches.
>
> I'm actually OK with that.  An E chord (with open 6, 2, and 1) is a
> different shape from an F chord (with barred 6, 2, and 1) in my opinion.
> Yes, the pattern on strings 3, 4, and 5 is the same.  But the hand pattern
> on the chord is different.

Yes, the hand pattern is slightly different but nevertheless F is an E chord
shape moved up by one fret.  The very popular CAGED system claims that there
are only five basic open chord shapes: C, A, G, E, and D.  All other chords
shapes can be derived from these five basic shapes.

> I thought about this issue quite a bit when I was creating predefined fret
> diagrams.  There, we introduced the idea of a chord shape.  There is a
> function that shifts a chord shape by N frets (offset-fret).  At present,
> it adds N to the fret number for every dot.  I thought about setting the
> fret number to N for every open string, but elected not to do it because I
> wouldn't know what to do with the finger.  I guess it's possible to set it
> to 1.

I would argue that it would make a lot of sense to "set the fret number to N
for every open string” and to automatically add a barre indication when
transposing open chord shapes.  Otherwise these resulting diagrams look really
daunting and unplayable.

> The fundamental issue that causes the problem is that a fingering of 0 not
> only sets a finger, but also a fret.
>
> However, you can easily fix this yourself in your chords that request
> automatic fret diagrams.  Set the finger to 1, and if the automatic
> diagram asks for a fret of 0, it will automatically change it to zero.
>
> \new FretBoards {
>  <e,-1 b,-3 e-4 gis-2 b-1  e'-1>1
>  \transpose e f <e,-1 b,-3 e-4 gis-2 b-1  e'-1>1
>  <f,-1 c-3 f-4 a-2 c'-1 f'-1>1
>  \transpose f e  <f,-1 c-3 f-4 a-2 c'-1 f'-1>1
>
>  }

Ah, thank you, I didn’t know that. It’s a clever trick but I don’t think I
would really like to use it in practice because it messes with the fingerings
of open chord shapes.  In this case I’d rather prefer to use a “manual” \barre
function when transposing fretboards with correct fingerings.

Thanks for your help!
patrick