Re: Automatically inserting bar lines when a line is broken on an empty

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Automatically inserting bar lines when a line is broken on an empty bar line
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 23:42:03 +0200

Hi Matie,

Am 22.05.2015 um 11:44 schrieb Matie Holtzhausen:
Hi,

How can I print a bar line if the line-breaker decides to break at an empty bar line:

For example:

\paper {
paper-width = 60\mm
}

\relative c' {c8 c c c \bar "" c c c c | c c c c}

This causes the line-breaker to break at \bar “”.
If the paper setting is removed, it does not break the line at all.

How can I adapt my music, so that if the paper setting causes the first measure to be broken at \bar “”, a bar line would be printed (at the end of the line).  If the paper setting is removed, I do not a bar line.

I would like to have the flexibility of changing layout variables, without having to put manual bar lines at line breaks (impractical for a large book), and I do not want lines to end without bar lines.
Why not? It’s perfectly common that a line ends without a bar line if a break occurs in mid-measure, and you would mess up the musical content by inserting a visible barline here, wouldn’t you?

Yours, Simon