Re: A question about scores and parts from a blind user

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: A question about scores and parts from a blind user
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 11:43:02 -0700 (MST)

Daniel,

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Daniel Contreras [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can anyone tell me why my compilation is so large? Is it including the entire score all over again?

Like Nick said, the \include command takes the contents of the included file and inserts it at the point you are including it. And yes, if you have a \score block in the file you are including, it will create that score in addition to the trumpet part file.

Here's how I would recommend your work-flow if you want to do it this way:

1. Create two files. One file will contain the musical *content* assigned to variables, like this:

% file name: parts.ily
% this file contains the music for each instrument

trumpetOneNotes = { c'1 }

trumpetTwoNotes = { e'1 }

and so on. The other file will contain the score *structure*, where the variables are used, like this:

% file name: brasstrio.ly
% this file contains the code for each score to be created, one for
% the ensemble and one for each of the individual parts

\book {
  \bookOutputSuffix "FullScore"
  \score {
    <<
      \new Staff \trumpetOneNotes
      \new Staff \trumpetTwoNotes

\book {
  \bookOutputSuffix "Trumpet1-Part"
  \score {
    \new Staff \trumpetOneNotes

\book {
  \bookOutputSuffix "Trumpet2-Part"
  \score {
    \new Staff \trumpetTwoNotes

Doing it this way will output a separate PDF for each \book block and will allow you to customize the header, layout, etc. for each. This forms the basis for any template you might use.

2. Decide which way you want to do the \include. If you want to \include the *content* file (parts.ily), then put \include "parts.ily" BEFORE the first \book block in brasstrio.ly. If you want to \include the *structure* file (brasstrio.ly), then put \include "brasstrio.ly" AFTER all the content variables in parts.ily.

In either case, the implicit result is a file that has the variables at the top and the \book blocks at the bottom (which you can also do). You decide which way works best for you!

- Abraham