Re: Dynamic mark at the end of a bar

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Dynamic mark at the end of a bar
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:19:36 +0000 (UTC)

David Sumbler <david <at> aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> I often use 's1*0\!' to end a hairpin just before a barline.

Is that needed? If you end it on the first note of the next bar, it should
be typeset to end just before the barline, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#Selected-Snippets-32

> But how can a get a dynamic mark (e.g. 'ff') to appear at the end of a
> bar?  In the following example, the first hairpin behaves as I want.
> The second one ends with a dynamic, but the new dynamic appears at the
> start of the following bar, even though it is attached to an item which
> occurs on the barline.

As has already been discussed, the question is what the musical meaning of
such a notation would be. Certainly, I can think of printed music, not to
mention hand-written manuscripts, where dynamic marks are placed far from
the note they are intended to match, but it won't help the musician.
If you can show that this notation is established and has a specific
meaning, then it might be interesting to add support in LilyPond. Otherwise,
you will have to live with the more or less clumsy workarounds.

   /Mats