Re: Is Sibelius really as bad as this?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Is Sibelius really as bad as this?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 19:58:43 +0100

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 20:22 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2015 19:06:08 +0100
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Is Sibelius really this bad (ties treated as slurs,
>
> I frequently rewrite Sibelius scores into LilyPond, and this is one of the
> issues that cost a lot of manual preprocessing. Moreover, it makes the
> composer 'lazy' -- it doesn't matter whether to create a tie or a slur, and
> the command for tie is apparently very easy.

But the composer wasn't 'lazy' in this case - the MusicXML shows that
ties were entered for ties, not slurs, yet they are typeset as if they
were slurs. (That is, Sibelius exported to MusicXML making the
distinction between the slurs and the ties correctly, so they must have
been entered correctly,  but its typesetting is wrong).

> > (Oh, and the Sibelius-generated PDF does not render with Evince, but
> > that is another issue I presume).
>
> Both attachments render fine in my Evince.

Ah, that'll be down to my version of Evince being too old then...

Richard