Re: Is Sibelius really as bad as this?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Is Sibelius really as bad as this?
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 09:13:41 +0100

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 21:16 +0200, Jacques Menu wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> Find attached what I get after raw import of the XML file into Sibelius 7.1.3
> and then export as PDF.
>
> It seems there’s no difference with what you got from IMSLP.
>
> JM

Well, again I couldn't view this in Evince but I could open it with
Iceweasel, and it shows something interesting: in bar 13 the original
has a cautionary accidental in parentheses.

Denemo's MusicXML import ignores this field (yes! I've submitted a bug
report for this) so I have inserted it manually, getting the attached
typeset LilyPondBar13.png.

The hand-written Sibelius output was particularly bad for this (see
SibeliusHandGenerated.ly), while Sibelius's MusicXML import, like
Denemo's, ignored the cautionary attribute when re-importing its own
MusicXML (see SibeliusImportedFromMusicXML.png attached - this has been
snipped from your file).

Reading this mailing list gave me the impression that Sibelius was a
required format for some publishing houses. How can this be? Do people
go through every dotted rhythm adjusting the positions of the dots by
hand? I just the really terrible ones? Every tie?

Richard