Re: Color note heads outside nominal instrument range

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Color note heads outside nominal instrument range
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 13:40:13 +0200

Am 30.05.2015 um 12:38 schrieb Peter Gentry:

FWIW

I have attached a slightly simplified and better version of instrument_ranges.ly

I haven't tested your code, but I like the idea of defining instrument-specific tonal ranges quite a lot!

Some ideas/proposals:

1)
Can you store the tone range for each instrument in an alist?

(define range-alist
 '((
  ("clarinet" . ( -10 . 34 ))
  ("bass-clarinet-c" . ( ...
)))

or even better, use pitches? You can extract upper and lower bounds
from this alist and don't have to write a conditional check for
each instrument.

2)
IIUC, the line
(if (or ( > op 34) (< op -10) ) (begin (set! o (+ o 1))) ))

adds one octave to the pitch if the note is lower than the lowest
possible note OR higher than the highest possible note?
The latter doesn't seem quite right to me ;-)

(and (< op -10)
     (set! o (+ o 1)))
(and (> op 34)
     (set! o (- o 1)))

seems to do the trick (untested).

Apart from that, such a function is a valuable extension for lilypond IMHO.

Cheers,

Marc

regards
Peter Gentry