dynamic outside staff

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: dynamic outside staff
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 23:45:45 -0700 (MST)

I would like that a "<" symbol span outside staff. This is my code

\version "2.18.2"
\time 4/4
\relative {
a\< b c d
e\! f g a
}

I found in the documentation the following example:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects

% Set details for later Text Spanner
\override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text
    = \markup { \small \bold Slower }
% Place dynamics above staff
\dynamicUp
% Start Ottava Bracket
\ottava #1
c'4 \startTextSpan
% Add Dynamic Text and hairpin
c4\pp\<
c4
% Add Text Script
c4^Text |
c4 c
% Add Dynamic Text and terminate hairpin
c4\ff c \stopTextSpan |
% Stop Ottava Bracket
\ottava #0
c,4 c c c |

This looks to me a very difficult example to understand. Can I suggest to
split this in multiple simplier example in the documentation?