Creating cut-away or scrapbook scores in LilyPond

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Creating cut-away or scrapbook scores in LilyPond
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 10:28:03 -0600

All,

I was browsing through some online engraving tutorials (featured on sibeliusblog.com some years ago) and I couldn't seem to figure out how to do this one:

>>> GO FROM:

>>> TO:

Here's the basic idea: The Woodwind group hypothetically doesn't start playing until measure four, so I don't want their staves to appear until then. How do I make the upper StaffGroup show the SystemStartBracket and initial clefs like normal when they start in the middle of a system? I think it's okay to ignore the Oboe and Clarinet staves for this exercise.

Here's a starting point for anyone interested in taking this challenge, which gives you the top image (without the Oboe and Clarinet staves, of course:

\version "2.18.2"

fluteMusic = {
  \clef treble
  R1*8
}

bassoonMusic = {
  \clef bass
  R1*8
}

violinIMusic = {
  \clef treble
  R1*8
}

violinIIMusic = {
  \clef treble
  R1*8
}

violaMusic = {
  \clef alto
  R1*8
}

violoncelloMusic = {
  \clef bass
  R1*8
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\score {
  <<
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Flute"
        shortInstrumentName = "Flt."
      } \fluteMusic
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Bassoon"
        shortInstrumentName = "Bsn."
      } \bassoonMusic

    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Violin I"
        shortInstrumentName = "Vln. I"
      } \violinIMusic
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Violin II"
        shortInstrumentName = "Vln. II"
      } \violinIIMusic
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Viola"
        shortInstrumentName = "Vla."
      } \violaMusic
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Violoncello"
        shortInstrumentName = "Vlc."
      } \violoncelloMusic

  \layout {}
}

I won't bias your creativity by sharing what I tried. Let's see what you've got!

- Abraham