Re: Getting merge-differently-headed to work

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Getting merge-differently-headed to work
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 23:02:05 +0200

> I have a piece that I'm working on that has a measure with four very crowded
> voices.  I expected to have to resolve note collisions, but I'm having some
> problems with \shiftOn and \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn.
>
> Here's what the measure should look like:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_aEseOV9KTXVWNBamdSSDdSUFk/view?usp=sharing
>
> And here's my snippet of the measure:
>
> \version "2.19.21"
> \language "english"
>
> % --- Definitions ---
>
> staffUp = \change Staff = "upper"
> staffDown = \change Staff = "lower"
>
> % --- Music ---
>
> highVoice = \relative {
>
>   e''8 ( fs d4 |
>   c8 e b4 ) |
> }
>
> upperMiddle = \relative {
>   \stemUp
>   s8 a' s <fs a> |
>   s8 g s <e g> |
> }
>
> lowerMiddle = \relative {
>   \staffUp \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn \shiftOn
>   e'4 d |
>   c4 b |
> }
>
> lowVoice = \relative {
>   \staffUp \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn \shiftOn
>   e'8 ( fs d4 |
>   c8 e b4 ) |
> }
>
> % --- Layout and MIDI ---
>
> global = {
>   \key c \major
>   \time 2/4
> }
>
> upper = {
>   \global
>   \clef treble
>   <<
>     \new Voice { \voiceOne \highVoice }
>     \new Voice { \voiceTwo \upperMiddle }
>   >>
>   \pageBreak
> }
>
> lower = {
>   \global
>   \clef bass
>   <<
>     \new Voice { \voiceThree \lowerMiddle }
>     \new Voice { \voiceFour \lowVoice }
>   >>
>   \pageBreak
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new PianoStaff <<
>     \new Staff = "upper" \upper
>     \new Staff = "lower" \lower
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       \hide BarLine
>       \hide SpanBar
>     }
>     \context {
>       \Staff
>       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>     }
>   }
> }

How about:

\version "2.19.21"
\language "english"

% --- Definitions ---

staffUp = \change Staff = "upper"
staffDown = \change Staff = "lower"

% --- Music ---

highVoice = \relative {

  e''8 ( fs d4 |
  c8 e b4 ) |
}

upperMiddle = \relative {
  \override Rest.X-offset = #-0.5
  s8 a' g\rest <fs a>
  g\rest g e\rest <e g>
}

lowerMiddle = \relative {
  \staffUp
  e'4 d |
  c4 b |
}

lowVoice = \relative {
  \staffUp
  e'8 ( fs d4 |
  c8 e b4 ) |
}

% --- Layout and MIDI ---

global = {
  \key c \major
  \time 2/4
}

upper = {
  \global
  \clef treble
  <<
    \new Voice
      { \voiceOne \highVoice }
    \new Voice
      { \voiceThree \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #0.4 \upperMiddle }

  \pageBreak
}

lower = {
  \global
  \clef bass
  <<
    \new Voice
      { \voiceThree \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #0.4 \lowerMiddle }
    \new Voice
      { \voiceTwo \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #0.4 \lowVoice }

  \pageBreak
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<