Re: Dashed line of TextSpanner in TabStaff too large

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: Dashed line of TextSpanner in TabStaff too large
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:20:39 +0200

Peter Crighton <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have defined a function \ringOn which adds a tweaked TextSpanner. The
> resulting dashed line has different dash sizes in a Staff and a TabStaff,
> due to Staff.StaffSymbol.staff-space being set to #1.5 in a TabStaff.
> How can I make the dashed lines exactly the same size in both Staff and
> TabStaff?
>

> \version "2.19.15"
>
> ringOn = \tweak TextSpanner.dash-fraction #0.3
>          \tweak TextSpanner.dash-period #1
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.left.padding #0
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.padding #0.5
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text \markup {
>            \lower #0.6 \small \italic "let ring "
>          }
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.right.padding #-0.7
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.padding #0
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text \markup {
>            \draw-line #'(0 . -0.4)
>          }
>          \tweak TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text ##f
>          \startTextSpan

Any reason you specify TextSpanner for every tweak?

Probably no other than that I usually like to use overrides and forgot to remove TextSpanner in the tweaks.

At any rate, you can just scale back again if you don't want this:

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for!

I'm not sure about the rationale behind that choice of LilyPond.  It's
hard to imagine any dashed line you'd want scaled according to staff
space by default.

Also, thanks to Pierre for your workaround, although I don’t need it now.

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de