Re: avoid merging stems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: avoid merging stems
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 23:36:29 +0200

musicus <address@hidden> writes:

> so \voiceXxx should work, or not?
> Why doesn't the stem of "\voiceOne g" go up as intended? Sure, it's a
> quite rare usecase, but i hope you can see my point.
> I don't want to merge the \voiceOne and \voiceTwo stems and if you try
> to hide/ omit one of both stems, both disappear!
> That's why I'm asking...
> Anyway, in this case the chord syntax {<g g>4 bes g} does work
> perfectly.
>
> Thanks for help,
> musicus
> \version "2.19.17"
>

> {
>       <<
>             \clef bass \time 3/4
>             \relative c' {\voiceOne g2.} \\
>             <<
>                   \relative c {\voiceTwo g4} \\
>                   \relative c {\voiceFour g( bes g)}
>             >>
>       >>
> }

You are using << ... \\ ... >> at different layers.  At each layer,
Voice contexts are numbered starting from "1".  So your "\voiceOne" and
your "\voiceTwo" occur in the same Voice, and since they are executed at
the same musical point of time, the last override wins.  Apparently
\voiceTwo.

Try working with explicit voices.

{
  \new Staff
      <<
            \clef bass \time 3/4
            \relative c' {\voiceOne g2.}
            <<
                  \new Voice \relative c {\voiceThree g4}
                  \new Voice \relative c {\voiceFour g( bes g)}

David Kastrup