Re: avoid merging stems

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: avoid merging stems
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 23:37:35 +0200

Am 14.06.2015 um 23:00 schrieb musicus:
so \voiceXxx should work, or not?
Why doesn't the stem of "\voiceOne g" go up as intended?
I didn’t figure the exact reason, but generally it’s because of the nested << \\ >>. The following works perfectly fine:

\version "2.19.17"

{
  <<
    \clef bass \time 3/4
    \relative c' { \voiceOne g2. }
    \\
    \relative c { \voiceTwo g4 }
    \\
    \relative c { \voiceFour g( bes g) }

}

Note the indenting, breaking, and spaces.
Sure, it's a quite rare usecase, but i hope you can see my point.
I don't want to merge the \voiceOne and \voiceTwo stems and if you try to hide/omit one of both stems, both disappear!
You would need \tweak then to affect only one of them.
That's why I'm asking...
Anyway, in this case the chord syntax {<g g>4 bes g} does work perfectly.
I can only ask you to try again and understand what I wrote about voices and chords: if you have three notes in three different voices, everyone will need its own stem, whereas in a chord, several noteheads may share a stem.

Regards, Simon